Math850 - Numerical Analysis I
Professor: Jianliang Qian
Office: C306 Wells Hall
Lectures: MWF 15:00-15:50
Location: A122 WH
Office Hours: MW4pm-5pm, F1-2pm, and by appointment
Teaching Assistant: Chao Song
Course Website: http://www.math.msu.edu/~qian/850.15f/index850.html
Description and Contents
Numerical Analysis I is mainly about numerical linear algebra which is the foundation
for computational mathematics and scientific computing. The following topics are intended to be covered (tentatively):
- Triangulation and Schur complement;
- Least squares and linear systems;
- Eigenvalue problems;
- Iterative methods.
- James Demmel, Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM, 1997.
- G. Golub and C. Van Loan, Matrix Computation, Johns Hopkins U. Press, 1996.
Homework and Projects
- This will be a computationally intensive course, including programming and written assignments.
- The computational problems will utilize MATLAB, but other languages (Fortran, C, C++, etc) are acceptable as well.
- Homework due in class. No late homework accepted.
- Final Exam/Final Project: TBA.
Grading based on
- Class participation (10%), assignments (50%), Final Exam/Project (40%).
- 4.0: 90% - 100%; 3.5: 80% - 89%; 3.0: 70% - 79%; 2.5: 60% - 69%; 2.0: less than 60%.
Homework Assignment 1: PDF file. Sept. 16, 2015
Homework Assignment 2: PDF file. Sept. 25, 2015
Homework Assignment 3: PDF file. Oct. 2, 2015
Homework Assignment 4: PDF file. Oct. 9, 2015
Homework Assignment 5: PDF file. Oct. 16, 2015
Homework Assignment 6: PDF file. Oct. 23, 2015
Homework Assignment 7: PDF file. As indicated
Homework Assignment 8: PDF file. As indicated
Homework Assignment 9: PDF file. As indicated
Homework Assignment 10: PDF file. As indicated